Effective Financial Content Marketing
In modern day marketing, where Social Media and Digital Marketing rule the roost, Content is crowned as an unchallenged King who can win or lose any marketing or branding battle for any organisation. Let’s look at how organisations dealing in financial services play these ‘Content’ cards to their benefit.
What is financial content?
Financial content is the pool of information prepared or provided by the financial companies such as banks, shares broking firms, NBFCs, Financial planners, Insurance companies to their customers or target market. This content may cover information about a broad range of topics like various financial products in the market, financial needs of the masses, various questions about saving, investing, technical nitty gritty of the world of finance or the state of the world economy. The list is endless.
Why is there a need for financial content marketing
“Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants,” says Epictetus, a Greek Stoic philosopher. However, the world around seems to be going in circles chasing its numerous wants and fewer resources to fulfill those wants. This gives rise to the need for information and education about how to learn to manage one’s money and finances better.
A highly regulated and complex nature of financial industry further augments the need for thoroughly researched information. Through responsible financial content marketing, businesses can help their customers compare different products and take correct decisions. Strategic financial content marketing can be used to build relations with the customers by educating them and addressing their pain points precisely. These relationships can be leveraged for the growth of business, as in financial markets, the customers value trust and personalisation more than the standardised products.
How can you effectively market financial content:
- Choose interactive data like maps highlighting different territories for different parameters, charts, tables flashing different colours; which will effectively engage the readers’ interest for a longer period over static, informative write ups. Attractive visuals, snippets, quizzes, ‘Did you knows’ are powerful tools to grab a reader’s attention in a crowded marketplace.
- Identify your target audience and plan a series of financial content that is aimed at their particular needs, rather than writing generalistic saving and investment information. Your target audience may be any one or more of these: senior citizens, professionals, young families, small and medium scale businesses, entrepreneurs, women, single parents etc.
- While it would be a wise move to plan your content calendar well in advance for months, you should be alert and flexible enough to include any topic of current relevance in your communications. This will add to your brand value as your customers or readers can rely on you to inform them about any latest developments that may impact their finances.
- In financial services, differentiation is a key to capture a reader’s interest. Hence, your content must have sufficient depth to include the possible variants of any product or ramifications of any particular issue for different individuals of different age groups or different incomes.
- Gone are the days where the only way of addressing the readers with respect to financial matters was formally written long articles sprinkled with jargons. That stiff and intimidating financial communication has made way for more vibrant presentation as in podcasts, videos, animations. You should choose the right mix of various mediums for various products and issues like short animation videos for basic understanding of the topic, financial planning advice by an expert in a video and analysis of a current financial phenomenon in a podcast. This will make the content relevant, digestible and palatable.
- As trust is of prime importance in financial services, you should get as many industry experts on board as possible to build a bank of authentic data.
- Equip your portal with various easy-to-use financial calculators for different purposes such as EMI Calculator, Loan Interest Calculator, Mortgage Calculator, Insurance Calculator. This will increase the number of visits on your page as well as make sure that the reader stays on your page for longer duration.
- Present the human face of finance. Include lots of real life stories, case studies and examples pertaining to financial management. Nothing captures the audience’s interest like stories and you can build a platform providing genuine financial information by connecting it to real life.
- Refrain from giving any advice that is not backed by a credible financial professional or detailed research. As finance is highly regulated industry, it may lead to statutory problems and harm the brand of your content marketing platform.
- Try to end the posts or articles with a little funny, open ended questions that will prompt your readers to express themselves in detail. This will help you to gauge the effectiveness of your communications and your readers’ needs in detail.
- Weave the marketing message or a specific financial solution in each content piece rather than just informing the audience. This will help you establish as an authority with required financial expertise.
Thus, financial content marketing can also be equally exciting and fruitful for both – the content marketers as well as the readers, if the above mentioned tips are consistently incorporated in the content marketing strategy.
The fact that video content serves as an excellent marketing strategy isn’t new What is, however, is the increasing relevance of video content among marketers
The need of the hour, as you may be well aware, is an online presence that stands out and provides an excellent user experience to convert site visitors into c